Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cooking Meat with Almond Milk
- Some Poskim rule that it is forbidden to cook meat with almond milk because of Marit Ayin unless one places almonds next to it so that people realize it is almond milk. In the case of chicken, one need not place almonds next to the milk.
- Other poskim rule that one would need to place the almonds next to the milk as a symbol that it is almond milk for chicken as well.
Serving Non-Dairy Milk at Meat Meals
- Some authorities require one to make a notification when serving what look like dairy products (i.e. non-dairy creamer, margarine) at a meat meal. This would mean leaving the packaging on the margarine or placing pieces of almonds in almond milk that is occasionally served as an appetizer.
- This would not be required when serving such products without meat as by the case of serving pareve ice cream for dessert.
- Rema YD 87:3, Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 46:14. Shach 97:6 explains the Rema to be referring to cooking.
- Shach 97:6 holds this based on the opinion of the Maharshal who says that there is a concern of marit ayin by cases of derabanan issurim as well from Bavli Shabbos 54 that one cannot bring an animal out on Shabbat with a stopped up bell because it looks like one is bringing it to market (even though doing business on shabbat is only assur midrabanan. This is also the opinion of the Taz there.
- See R' Mansour at Dailyhalacha.com.  These authorities would likely include the Shach and Taz cited above.
- Yabia Omer, Chelek 6, Yoreh De'ah S' 8.