Learning During Davening
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- During Psukei Dzimra, it is forbidden to learn Torah even by just looking into a sefer without saying the words.
Between Psukei Dzimra and Birchot Kriyat Shema
Between Barchu and Birchot Kriyat Shema
- It is permitted to look into a sefer to learn without speaking between Barchu and Birchot Kriyat Shema.
Birchot Kriyat Shema
- Between the paragraphs of Birchot Kriyat Shema it is permitted to learn inconspicuously without speaking in learning and without looking into a sefer because looking a sefer would cause others to be lenient about interrupting davening and talk in the middle of davening. This is relevant if the Shaliach Tzibbur is singing the Birchot Kriyat Shema slowly.
- A person should not look into a sefer to learn during Kriyat Shema. Between Shemona Esrei and Chazarat Hashatz it is permitted to look into a sefer to learn Torah without speaking. During Tachanun if there's a pause waiting for the Shaliach Tzibbur to finish Kel Melech to get up to Vayavor it is permitted to look into a sefer to learn Torah. It is better just to learn in one's mind without looking into a sefer. This is relevant if the Shaliach Tzibbur if sining the Kel Melech slowly.
- It is forbidden to learn in a sefer during Birchat Kohanim, instead one should pay attention.
- Yalkut Yosef 51:30
- Yabia Omer OC 2:4 argues that you can audibly learn. Yalkut Yosef 51:30 writes that it is proper to be strict and only learn in a sefer without enunciating between Psukei Dzimra and Birchot Kriyat Shema. Yalkut Yosef 54:10 permits even speaking in learning between Psukei Dzimra and Birchot Kriyat Shema, but adds that someone who wants to be machmir can be strict just to look in a sefer without speaking.
- Igrot Moshe OC 3:4 says you can’t learn between Pesukei Dzimrah and Brachot Kriyat Shema. Aruch Hashulchan 53:4 says you can learn without enunciating it. Ishei Yisrael ch. 16 fnt. 101 and Piskei Teshuvot 53:4 quote the Aruch Hashulchan.
- Yalkut Yosef 57:7
- Yalkut Yosef 59:34
- Yalkut Yosef 63:8
- Yalkut Yosef 123:10
- Yalkut Yosef 134:5
- Yalkut Yosef 34:6
- Yalkut Yosef 34:6
- Piskei Teshuvot 128:2
- Mishna Brurah 56:1, 68:3
- Mishna Brurah 68:3