Template:Combing Hair on Shabbat
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- It is forbidden to brush or comb one's hair on Shabbat. If a comb has soft bristles that won’t pull out hair, it is permitted to use it to gently comb a specific spot to fix the hair there but not to comb the whole head. Also, one who plans on using this leniency should have a designated comb for Shabbat so that it isn’t considered a weekday activity, uvda dchol.
- It is permitted to gently scratch one’s head in a small area if it isn’t certain that they will pull out any hairs.
- Women should be especially careful since they have long hair and running their hands through their hair or scratching their head vigorously will almost definitely make hair fall out.
- However, it is perfectly fine to part one’s hair.
- One may not braid one's hair on Shabbat.
- Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 303:27 forbids combing one’s hair on Shabbat since it’s inevitable that one will remove hair.
- Mishna Brurah 303:87
- Rama 303:27, Shemirat Shabbat Kehilchata 14:42
- Avnei Yashfeh 5:71:1
- Rama 303:26
- Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 303:26