Tattoos & Body Piercing
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 18:36, 8 May 2013 by Nisan (Added to reference for #1 in section 2.)
Until legitimate sources have been added for each halacha, please note that the halacha's without sources on this page may be questionable.
The prohibition of tattoos
- It is forbidden to get tattooed.
- There is no specific prohibition forbidding body piercings. However, if one's health would be affected, they may not be done. 
- Men should refrain from getting body piercings.
- Vayikra 19:28, Makot 21a; see Rashi. One is not chayav unless there is both writing and engraving. Pouring ash on a wound is also forbidden because it looks like a tattoo even though there is no writing or engraving(Makot 21a).
- Template:There are references in the Torah regarding piercings among both men & women with no specific objection; however, should one's health become compromised as result, we are to stay away due to the obligation to care for our bodies.
- EVERY HALACHA ON HALACHIPEDIA STRICTLY REQUIRES A SOURCE. PLEASE ADD SOURCE HERE, OTHERWISE THIS HALACHA WILL BE REMOVED.