Tattoos & Body Piercing
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 08:53, 1 May 2013 by Nisan
The prohibition of tattoos
- It is forbidden to get tattooed.
- There is no specific prohibition forbidding piercings as long as it doesn't interfere with one's health.
- However, men should refrain.
- Vayikra 19:28, Makot 21a. One is not chayav unless there is both writing and engraving. Pouring ash on a wound is also forbidden because it looks like a tattoo even though there is no writing or engraving(as seen in Makot.
- There is no explicit prohibition forbidding piercings unless one's health would be negatively affected, even slightly; but that's from a health issue and not a piercing issue. However, among most Orthodox communities, it is not common for piercings besides the ears of women.