Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 09:08, 3 May 2013 by Nisan (Edited section 2:#3, added source.)
Until legitimate sources have been added for each halacha, please note that the halacha's without sources on this page may be questionable.
The importance of earning a living
- Regardless of a person's stature, everyone must toil for their living. This was a result of Adam's sin and the subsequent curse put on mankind.
- It is better to resort to embarrassing work in public than to rely on gifts from people for one's living.
Learning a trade and/or craft
- G-d implanted within every human being a desire and ability to succeed within a certain activity. This was done so the world would not lack anything. Therefore, it is one's obligation to seek out his/her talent(s) in order to benefit the world and thereby earn their sustenance. One who fails to do so forgoes a world of pleasure and will have to answer why they didn't partake in their talents. 
- A man must learn a trade and/or craft as well as teach his son a trade and/or craft in order to prevent his son(and himself) from theivery. 
- One must love "melacha"(creative activity). 
- Bereshit 3:19, Pesachim 118a
- Pesachim 113a
- EVERY HALACHA ON HALACHIPEDIA STRICTLY REQUIRES A SOURCE. PLEASE ADD SOURCE HERE, OTHERWISE THIS HALACHA WILL BE REMOVED.
- Kiddushin 29a, 30b, Makot 8b
- Mishnah Avot 1:10