How to build a Kosher Sukkah
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 20:39, 5 October 2011 by ChachamY (Created page with ' ==Number of walls of the Sukkah== # 3 walls one being a tefach # walls must be 7 x7 # height at least 10 tefachim ===Arrangment of the walls=== # If one has two walls facing on…')
Number of walls of the Sukkah
- 3 walls one being a tefach
- walls must be 7 x7
- height at least 10 tefachim
Arrangment of the walls
- If one has two walls facing one another and the third is four tefachim it must be within 3 tefachim of one side and within 3 of the other or at least have a tzurat hapetach to the second side. 
Materials for walls of Sukkah
- metal, wood…
- what about canvas or plastic tarp? What about tying strings for lavud?
- Many authorities hold that plastic curtains (tarp, canvas) are unfit for walls of a Sukkah, while others permit. 
==Sachach of Sukkah==(siman 629)
- attached to ground
- mekabel tumah
- bamboo mats
- putting Sachach on top of metal walls
- very thick sachach (siman 631)
- very thin sachach
- Sachach under trees (attached to ground) (siman 626)
- sachach under a roof
When should one build the Sukkah?
- Mitzvah to build Sukkah after yom kippur
- If a Sukkah was set up before 30 days before sukkot, then what do you have to do?(siman 636)
- If you forgot can you do it on chol hamoed
==Decorations of the Sukkah==(siman 667)
- Mitzvah to decorate and beatify the sukkah
- If they fell on yom tov are they Muktzeh
- If they fell on chol hamoed are they Muktzeh?
- S"A 630:3
- Rav Ovadyah Yosef in Chazon Ovadyah (pg 1-5) and Rav Shlomo Zalman Aurerbach in Halichot Shlomo (Sukkah 7:1 pg 97) hold that plastic curtains that sway in the wind even slightly are unfit for walls of a Sukkah. However, Rav Moshe Feinstein in Sh”t Igrot Moshe 5:40 permits if the curtains are thick and there’s poles.